No, strawberries do not have an essential oil. BUT it is strawberry season and there are so many things you can do with strawberries. For example did you know that if you rub a half strawberry with Spearmint essential oil onto your teeth it is a natural whitener?
Ok let's start with some strawberry fun facts.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring.
- Strawberries are the only fruit with their seeds on the outside.
- There are 200 seeds on the average strawberry.
- You can start your own strawberry patch from the seeds of one strawberry.
- Strawberries are historically important. Ancient Romans believed that strawberries helped alleviate symptoms of melancholy, inflammation, fainting, fevers, blood disease, and pretty much any other ailment you could think of.
- Medieval stone masons used to carve strawberry designs on their altars and all around the tops of cathedrals and churches as a symbol of perfection and righteousness.
- Strawberries contain more vitamin C than oranges.
Ok let's talk salad dressing! Essential oil salad dressings are fabulous and full of flavour. I like to use the recipes with all kinds of different salads.
- Strawberry Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon shallot minced (OPTIONAL)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 cup Grapeseed oil
- 1 toothpick black pepper essential oil
- ¼ tsp salt
Preparing the dressing:
Place all the dressing ingredients in the blender or a mini food processor and process until smooth. Set aside or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
NOTES: The dressing can be made ahead of time and enjoyed for up to 5 days.
Apple cider or Champagne vinegar can be used in place of red wine.
Grapeseed oil can be replaced with Olive or other oil of your choice.
Taste will vary with the oil or vinegar you choose.
Cinnamon Spice Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Raw Apple Cider vinegar
- 2 drops Cinnamon Bark essential oil
- 1 drop Clove essential oil
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground Nutmeg
- 1 Small Garlic clove Finely Minced
- ¼ tsp Gray or Sea salt
- 1/8 tsp Fresh ground pepper
Preparing the dressing:
Place all the dressing ingredients in the blender and process until smooth. Set aside in a glass jar, store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Serve on a bed of baby spinach leaves.
Toss thinly sliced apples with two drops Lemon Essential oil.
Top with Apples, Strawberries, pine nuts and Crumbled Goat Cheese.
Be brave and adventurous, try adding spice essential oils or any citrus essential oils to your favorite home made salad dressing. One of the essential oils I love to add to all my salad dressings and marinades is Celery seed. I go by feel a lot when making dressings now but below is the dressing I use the most. It varies regularly by adding strawberries, blueberries or cucumbers. I use a magic bullet to get a creamy consistency.
Equal parts grapeseed and rice vinegar.
a pinch of Salt
Either honey or sugar to taste
1 drop Celery seed essential oil
2 drops lemon, lime or wild orange essential oil
1 tsp poppy seeds
Mix all together and enjoy.
Hope you enjoy!
Please share your favorite salad dressings in the comments below. Your thoughts are valad and valuable. We can help each other on the road to renew.